The bedroom is a space that is entirely yours, so have fun expressing your style with it!
Here are some tips for picking out accent pieces to suit your dream bedroom decor.
- Reflect on the sense you want the room to exude. Colors evoke different emotions. Cool and calm or warm and energetic? Decide on a color scheme and use this when picking out bedding, curtains, pillows, picture frames, and other details.
- Be sure to plan out how the color of the walls will coordinate with the furniture.
- Play around with light and dark pieces to create contrast.
- Interested in mixing patterns? Choose patterns in the same color scheme. This often makes the combination cohesive in a striking way.
- Illuminate your bedroom! Hanging or mounted lamps can add a unique layer to the space.
- Table lamps provide direct lighting bedside. When paired together, the lamp complements the design of the night stand or dresser it’s set on.
- A chandelier or stylish pendant lamp can be an eye-catching statement piece.
- Mirrors are a fantastic way to make a room appear larger and brighter by reflecting light.
- Hang multiple mirrors for a playful look. Be sure to group them together the way you would with different art pieces.
More than just a place to sleep:
- Of course, the bedroom is where you rest and unwind but if you plan on using it for other purposes, factor those into the layout. Perhaps you want a cozy reading corner and a bookcase or a desk by the window for natural light.
- Consider how you want your bedroom to fit your routine. Will the night stand be a place to keep books and necessities or be minimally decorated? Do you need extra storage hidden away in a media chest or dresser? Balance your ideal style with comfort and practicality.
- A bench placed at the foot of the bed can be an elegant addition, while also providing seating and storage.
- Section off a specific part of the bedroom with a rug or cover the entire floor with an area rug.
- Be sure to secure your rug with backing so it doesn’t slip and move around.
The layout of it all:
- When arranging the bedroom, avoid placing large furniture together. When the layout is balanced, there will be more natural movement throughout.
- Every aspect of the room’s design should work together within the final look.
Make it your own:
- Choose the furniture you want to enjoy and fill your home with! For questions, contact one of our in-house designers at any one of our 14 JR Furniture locations.